Mobile Devices:Turn your phone on its side to access the full Survival Guide menus. This website is best viewed at 1920 x 1080.
So you're trying to find a mod that may have made your load order weird? Be it crashing, lag, or just loopy graphics, finding the issue is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The method of dividing a load order in half and manually searching for conflicts has been around for ages. Here is a step-by-step.
Before You Start
Things to remember:
Step By Step
- Write Down your mods so you know your load order outside the game. Use the Framework. That's what it's there for.
- Divide your load order in half and disable the bottom half. Clear your cache.
- Start a NEW Character and check for the issue.
- If the issue is not there, DELETE the TEST character.
- Disable all mods and enable the bottom half. Clear you cache.
- If the problem is there, you now have a new list of mods to go through.
- Divide the new list in half and disable the bottom half. Clear your cache.
- Create a NEW character and check if the issue is there.
- Continue dividing the list into smaller chunks until you've narrowed down the issue. Do not forget to use NEW characters instead of disabling and continuing on the same save.
When Divide and Conquer does not work
➡️ Try enabling two or three at a time to search for conflicts. Go section by section and only use (and then delete) test characters.
➡️ Check the Framework on the Survival Guide for a list of mods with known issues, conflicts, and alternative mods. Mods with known issues or conflicts are the ones to disable first when troubleshooting.
➡️ Check the Buffout 4 Common Crash article for a list of mods with known issues, conflicts, and alternative mods. Mods with known issues or conflicts are the ones to disable first when troubleshooting. Console players can benefit from this list too if the mod is a straight port or has been bundled with other mods.
➡️ Join us on Discord. Post a link to your Load Order Framework in the appropriate channel so that someone can assist you in narrowing down the issue. We need to be on the same page, so have your Framework link handy.